A Detailed Guide on how to Sell Cybersecurity to SMBs
Given the pandemic situation, almost all businesses are shifting towards remote work culture and as the work systems are totally virtual, online data storage and transfer are quite common. But with virtual data-sharing arises the concern for data security. Isn’t it? That is exactly where your cybersecurity service can come into play. The demand for data security is increasing at a rapid pace. As per a Statista report, the average cost of a data breach worldwide is 3.86 million USD. Considering the alarming numbers, there’s no doubt that many small and medium businesses would be concerned about protecting their sensitive data. Want to accelerate your cybersecurity sales to SMBs? Great! We have got your back. In this article, we shall discuss the important steps that revolve around cybersecurity selling. Keep reading!
Top 4 strategies to accelerate cybersecurity sales
In today’s digital times, cybersecurity is not a luxury. In fact, it is a necessity for businesses, be they small or medium. You, as a subject matter expert, can help businesses meet their security requirements efficiently. In this section, we are going to discuss some of the best hacks to grow your cybersecurity business. Let’s have a look at them one by one.
1. Know your customer
The first step to ensuring a sales deal with customers is to understand them. It is essential to comprehend your client’s requirements before offering them your cybersecurity solutions. If you want to exceed your cybersecurity sales, you need to comprehend that fact businesses look forward to solutions that can cater to their company requirements. Price and quality are, no doubt, important factors too! But as sellers, you need to move beyond these basic factors. You should delve deep into your potential client’s business niche via thorough research and chalk out the security essentials that their business lacks. This helps you approach your client better.
Here is a list of some common security requirements that a small or medium business would generally be concerned about:
- Website protection from malware
- Safety against malicious traffic to the website
- Protection against DDoS and many others
Another important aspect that you need to keep in mind while cybersecurity selling is to confirm who you are selling to. In the case of SMBs, there are fewer chances that you’ll be working with the IT personnel, security officers, or chief information officer. Unless and until it’s a well-funded company, it won’t have IT managers or CIOs in the team. So, it is more likely that you’ll have to interact with the CEO or the executive team of the company and pitch your sales directly to them. They will be the ultimate decision-makers when it comes to SMBs.
2. Educate your audience & project yourself as a subject matter expert
The next step involves educating your audience about your product or service. Many times, businesses are not even sure about the kind of security measures that can best suit their company requirements. This is where you can approach them as a cybersecurity expert. Educating your audience about the right security measures beneficial for their business can help you win their trust.
Some of the best ways you can educate your audience:
- Explain the importance of cyber security via informative blogs
- Educational videos on the different types of security solutions available in the market
- Case studies talking about data breaches and how data theft can lead to business loss
Right content helps you validate your security claims. So, think no more. Start creating educational content for your audience today and take your step towards building better customer loyalty.
3. Design your cybersecurity product portfolio
As a cybersecurity service provider, it is important to maintain a portfolio of your product or service. You can segregate your security solutions into different categories to offer better clarity about your services. In case you don’t have enough solutions in your portfolio, you can opt to work with partner channels. This allows you to add more products to your portfolio and earn additional revenue.
You can include the following items to your product list:
- Virtual private networks
- Malware scanning tools
- Web app firewalls Website safety & others
It is not necessary that you have to sell every product of yours to every customer. We recommend you to offer customized security solutions to your customers.
4. Leverage the boon of digital marketing
A good digital marketing strategy can be a game-changer for your cybersecurity business. Building relationships with your customers is the first step to successful sales. And the key to strong customer relations is smart marketing. Wondering how you can step up your product marketing? Read the points mentioned below:
- Start with providing informative content to your audience. You can share educational blogs, case studies, and whitepapers on your social media channels.
- You can consider joining social media groups and network with potential businesses you would like to connect with.
- Running paid ads on social media is also a probable marketing option for you. For instance, Facebook ads can help you target potential audiences based on demographics, location, preferences, and many other essential factors.
- One more form of effective marketing is guest blogging. You can feature as a guest on podcasts as well. This way, you can also highlight yourself as a subject matter expert and gain the trust of your prospective clients.
There’s no denying that most modern businesses that are digitally based require a robust security setup. Thus, the market for cybersecurity solutions has been constantly rising. We hope this article helped you gain a fair idea of how to sell your cybersecurity product or service to small and medium business structures. Chalk out your plan of action keeping in mind the four tips discussed above. We wish our tips help you ace your cybersecurity business growth.
Good luck to you!